Three-Day Online Workshop was conducted in association with MMK & SDM Mahila Maha Vidyalaya, Mysore, from 27th to 29th August 2020. The guests and the participants were greeted by the program convener Dr. Wethroe Kapfo, Head, Department of Biochemistry, MMK & SDM MM Vidyalaya. The program was presided by the Patron, Dr. B. Yashovarma, Secretary, SDM Education Society, Ujjire. He deliberated on the need to inculcate a research mindset to students right from their undergraduate studies and encourage them to pursue research for the advancement of the country. Prof. Bharathi N, Head of Dept of Physics, MMK & SDM MMV introduced the speaker of Day 1, Prof. Cletus D’Souza, Emeritus Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Mysore, Mysuru.
The speaker spoke on the title “Applications of NMR in Biology” wherein he gave a brief history of NMR and its relevance to biological sciences today. Explaining the basic principles of NMR of spins and coupling constants he further explained the concept of chemical shifts particularly in 1H NMR. 1 D NMR interpretation was explained using simple molecules wherein 1H and 13C NMR was discussed.
Smt. Pallavi MR, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, MMK & SDM MMV introduced the second speaker, Dr. Sachin R Chaudhari, Scientist & Assistant Professor ACSIR, Dept of Spice and Flavour Science, CSIR- CFTRI, Mysuru. The speaker spoke on the topic “Introduction to 2D NMR”. He explained the instrumentation of 2D NMR, sample preparation, homonuclear and heteronuclear 2D NMR. He discussed short- and long-range coupling of 1H and 13C atoms, further giving the theoretical aspects of typical spectra in the form of diagonal and cross peaks seen in COSY, TOCSY, HSQC, HMQC and HMBC.
Dr. Sachin R Chaudhari spoke on the topic “Practical aspect of NMR spectra & A- Guide to 1D & 2D NMR Interpretation”. He dealt with the practical interpretation of 1D as well as 2D NMR using small molecules further giving his expert opinions of using 2D NMR in large molecules like carbohydrates and proteins. He explained how to decipher isomers from the NMR spectra and shared “The Classic Five” types of NMR that can be used to confirm one’s results. They are 1H, 13C, COSY, HSQC, and HMBC.
The session concluded with closing remarks by Prof. Sainath Malligemadu, Principal, MMK & SDM MMV, and Vote of Thanks rendered by Mr. Bipin Joseph, Chairman, Ryan Publishers.
YouTube Links of Live Recordings of the sessions:-
- Youtube Link For Day 1 (Part 1): https://youtu.be/ajreqR5GfoU
- Youtube Link For Day 1 (Part 2): https://youtu.be/JJAFr3gaklU
- Youtube Link For Day 1 (Part 3): https://youtu.be/C1qXZrDwusI
- Youtube Link For Day 2: https://youtu.be/aUjfpG2WNG0
- Youtube Link For Day 3 (Part 1): https://youtu.be/s0QxcP8sHio
- Youtube Link For Day 3 (Part 2): https://youtu.be/GsIX8i7h0uY
Feedback from the Participants:-
- “More such kind of workshop in future” – Divya Deepthi Monteiro
- “Very informative workshop”– Inchara Muralidhara
- “It was good..presentation was good even though it was a new concept. I would love to attend further workshops. Thank you”– Rachitha. B. K
- “It was very informative. Both basic and advanced practical knowledge was given”– Akshatha Bhat E
- “This three-day workshop increased our knowledge about the NMR spectroscopy. We expect more of such workshops or webinars in the future”– Viraj V. Bangera
- “It’s very useful to me . And clear explanations. Thank you so much for this opportunity”– SOWMYA E
- “Excellent management of the three-day conference” – Dr. Arunkumar GS
- “Everything was well organized”– SHEHZAN SHAREEF
- “Thanks for the opportunity”– Jagrati Sharma
- “I request you to continue doing these workshops. I also want to request you to hold some practical sessions on these techniques after COVID if it is possible”– Kruthi R Vasishtha
- “It is a brilliant initiative to encourage scientific research from the early years of education.”– Avinash Kumar
- “I’m looking forward for many more workshop”– R.Ranjitha
- “Sessions were fruitful. Thank you”– JYOTHSNA K
- “Great session. Looking forward to participate in more such webinars”– Meghana Raman
- “The workshop was very informative and the speakers explained the concepts well. Thank you”– APOORVA M R
- “Good Initiative. Keep up the Good Work”– REENA PHOEBE
- “This is one of very useful part in my research work. I know well about NMR after your presentation”– Bharanika s