One day International webinar was hosted on the Date -6th Feb 2021. Our resource person, Mr. Dr. G. VENKATESAN delivered his valuable speech on the topic, “RESEARCH IN SOCIAL SCIENCES”. Mr. Dr. G. VENKATESAN is currently an Assistant Professor, Department of Business Administration, Sona College of Arts and Science, Salem-636005, Tamilnadu.
Research is a systematized effort to gain new knowledge and new insights. Research is the systematic process of collecting and analyzing information i.e., data in order to increase our understanding of the phenomenon about which we are concerned or interested. It involves the collection, organization, and analysis of information to increase understanding of a topic or issue. A research may be an expansion on past work in the field. To test the validity of instruments, procedures, or experiments, research may replicate elements of prior projects or the project as a whole.
The session was conducted to highlight the process of research and the major factors that influence the idea of research. Mr. Dr. G. VENKATESAN portrayed the various steps involved in research and its process. He stressed on necessary points – Anyone irrespective of any educational background can do research. Methods of data collection, stages, research problem, hypothesis testing and research design. Additionally, Mr. Dr. G. VENKATESAN even spoke about some of his efforts and experiences in research.
Main Topics Covered Under The Webinar:-
- –Brief note on Research and its process
- – to gain familiarity or to achieve new insights
- – Exploratory or Formulative Research
- – Descriptive Research
- – Diagnostic Research
- – to test a hypothesis.
- Research problem
- – Identification/Selection of the problem
- – Formulation of the problem
- Research design
- – Sampling design
- – observational design
- –Statistical design
- – Operational design
- -Probability sampling
- -Non – Probability sampling
- Errors in sampling
- – Sampling errors
- – Non- sampling errors
- – Biased errors
- – Un-Biased
- Methods of data
- Primary sources
- Secondary sources
- Stages in data analysis
- –Data entry
- –Data Analysis
- Types of Hypothesis –Descriptive hypothesis –Relational hypothesis–Working hypothesis–Null hypothesis–Analytical hypothesis–Statistical hypothesis–Common sense hypothesis
- Other important sections
- – Measurement scales, Qualitative and Quantitative research, Tabulation, Variables, interpretation, ANOVA and correlation.
- “Research – The distance between an idea and its realization” ~ David Sarnoff
Comments from participants :
- Very good session and more knowledgeable – Ma.Andaldevi S
- Good and very informative – Dr.R.SaranyaDevi
- GOOD AND INFORMATIVE – Ms SUSHMA S CHAWLA
- Very informative and knowledgeable session – Dr. FARHAN SIDDIQUI
- The webinar was good – Ms.K.Suja